1. Project Initiation
- The YKM Consulting project team is assembled.
- The team meets with the client to discuss and clarify the project's scope, budget and schedule.
- The team establishes project reporting procedures and decision-making processes.
- When necessary, the team identifies and selects sub-consultants. All sub-consultants utilize YKM’s CAD standards, design standards and software.
- The team reviews relevant reports, studies and plans such as previous master plans, renovations, mechanical and electrical system and maintenance upgrades, building plans and documents, asbestos and lead paint surveys, historical records and client standards and guidelines.
- The team then creates a detailed work plan.
2. Schematic Phase
- The team assesses the clients' needs, and identifies and documents operational and strategic objectives.
- Schematics of the major systems and outline specifications are prepared.
- Schematic estimates of probable construction costs based on identified scope are prepared.
- A schematic report, including outline specifications and engineer's estimates of probable construction costs are created based on client priorities and budget.
3. Design Development Phase
- Design development floor plans and system schematics to identify equipment locations, utility distribution routing, systems zoning and project phasing are created.
- The first draft of technical specifications for systems materials and installation requirements are prepared.
- Design development estimates of probable construction costs are developed.
- Previous needs assessments are reviewed. Schematic phase needs are confirmed and client design concerns are addressed.
- The team participates in the design development review meeting to review value engineering options, assess systems design, finalize implementation and packaging of contract documents, and refine the project schedule. Design development plans and technical specifications are prepared for review and approval by the client.
4. Contract Documents
- Contract documents are prepared for competitive bidding based on approved design development documents.
- If necessary, separate bid packages are prepared according to accommodate project scheduling.
- Estimates of probable construction costs are prepared based on refinement of project scope and adjustment to adjustment to contingencies.
- Team members attend pre-bid conferences and walk-throughs with contractors/suppliers.
- Addenda required for clarifications to the bidding documents are submitted.
- The team reviews bids and makes recommendations to the client regarding award of contracts.
- The team reviews shop drawing submittals, schedule of values and the contractor's installation schedule.
- Project managers attend scheduled project meetings and prepare meeting minutes.
- Team members conduct periodic pre-approved site visits to review work progress and progress payment applications, and verify installation conformance to contract documents.
- On-site systems start-up training sessions are scheduled with contractors, suppliers and owner representatives.
- The team conducts final site observation inspection and completion of documentation.
7. Systems Commissioning
- YKM recommends that we be retained to provide commissioning for your mechanical and electrical building systems in order to confirm that these systems are installed and performing to the standards for which they were designed.
- The commissioning process involves ongoing interaction with the client and the installing contractors during the construction phase of a project. The process involves installation verification, operational performance testing, functional performance testing, owner training and preparation of a final commissioning report, i.e., documentation compiled during the commissioning process.